White Bread (Sponge Method)
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (100-115 degrees F)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add two cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat until smooth. Cover. Let rise until bubble, 1 hour.
|At this point the dough should look like bubbly, like a sponge (hence the name sponge method).|
2. Heat milk, oil, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add to bubbly yeast mixture.
3. Add enough flour to make the dough moderatly stiff. Knead until smooth.
|Kneading the dough.|
4. Form into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Let rise for 1 hour.
|Should be doubled in size.|
5. Punch down. Cut in half and form 2 small balls. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
|Punch down. The best part!|
|Really punch it down to remove unwanted air bubbles.|
6. Grease and flour two bread pans. Shape into loaf* and place in pans. Let rise until doubled in size. 45 min - 1 hour.
7. Bake bread at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cover with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking time.
8. Brush top with butter. So delicious!
|Yeah. It tasted as good as it looked!|
1. Flatten the ball out into a rectangle.
2. At one of small ends of the rectangle tightly begin to roll up the dough. This will push out all of the air.
3. After the loaf is rolled, tuck the two ends under to make a lovely shaped loaf.